Sometimes a simple, do you win or not check, just isn’t quite ‘right’ (
for all other checks there’s Mastercard), so what do you do if you’re challenged to a Kessel Run race, or you want to help your fellow player stabilise that rapidly deteriorating hyperdrive igniter coil so you can escape the Impies?
FF’s Star Wars system has another way of dealing with those, with the same level of ‘narrative’ expression as other checks!
- (your Skill / Statistic vs. opponent’s Skill / Statistic)
1. Build your dice pool of Ability and Proficiency die;
2. Add one Difficulty die for every Ability die the opponent has;
3. Add one Challenge die for each of their Proficiency die;
4. Whoever has the most Successes wins. If equal, the most Advantages wins.
- (all parties do the same thing but the we want to see is who does it first or best)
1. Each competitor builds a dice pool which includes the Difficulty dice designated by the GM for the check.
2. Roll and determine who has the most un-cancelled (gross number of) Successes.
3. If tied, then take the most Advantages;
4. If still tied, the most Triumph wins.
ASSISTED SKILL CHECKS:
- (the helper has a higher Skill or Statistic than the primary action taker)
1. Use the highest numbers from both players (Statistic and Skill ratings) to build a single dice pool with the most upgraded dice.
So if Player A has 3 Brawn and 2 Melee (2 Proficiency and 1 Ability die), and Player B has 2 Brawn and 4 Melee (2 Proficiency and 2 Ability die), you would roll the 3 from the highest Brawn rating and the 4 from the highest Skill rating…
This translates to 3 Proficiency die and 1 Ability die.
UNSKILLED ASSISTED SKILL CHECKS:
- (the helper(s) Skill or Statistic are not higher than the main action taker in either the relevant Skill or the Statistic characteristic)
1. Each character that spends an action to help contributes 1 Boost die to the dice pool.
2. The assisting character has to define HOW they will be helping.
So there you have it, all explained in complete ‘simplicitudity’.
Yes, that’s a word now.