How well do you know the skills in Pathfinder?
‘Not too well’? That’s fine, that’s what this is for! After all, why would you put points in a skill when you don’t understand what it actually does in the context of the game?
There is more information available in the Pathfinder Core Rulebook (now in A5 paperback too!) and Paizo’s Online Reference Document; plus I found a great app for phones/tablets that provides full offline access to every rule that Paizo have, and will, ever release (iOS / Android).
So, Escape Artist… Sounds obvious? Ok, but what could it be used for in the context of the game?
Pathfinder’s description of Escape Artist is this.
Check. This Check gives you the possibility of escaping grapples, slipping out of bonds / traps.
The Check can be used as a straight escape from manacles or ropes etc but it is also occasionally used in response to a Combat Maneuver attack on you. It is also used for attempts to move through a very tight space like a chimney.
Action. There are multiple types here dependent on what you’re attempting to do.
- Escaping from bindings like manacles requires a minute per attempt (10 combat rounds).
- Escaping from a net, animated rope, command plants, control plants, or an entangle spell, is a Full Round Action.
- Squeezing and making progress through a tight space takes 1 minute, or 10 Combat Rounds.
Try Again. Varies:
- You can make another check after a failed check if you’re Squeezing your way through a tight space, making multiple checks.
- If the situation permits, you can make additional checks, or even take 20, as long as you’re not being actively opposed.
- If the DC to escape from rope or bindings is higher than 20 + your Escape Artist skill bonus, you cannot escape from the bonds using Escape Artist.
Be careful out there!!